Colin A. Smith
Center for Limnology
680 N. Park St, Madison, WI 53706
(425) 772 - 0809, email@example.com
M.S., Freshwater and Marine Sciences, University of Wisconsin (expected December 2016)
B.S., Oceanography, University of Washington (2005)
Research Assistant, Center for Limnology, University of Wisconsin - Madison (2014 - present).
- Investigating ecosystem transformations during whole lake temperature manipulation.
- Characterized hydrodynamics and efficiencies of a novel lake mixing technology.
Research Technician, Center for Limnology, University of Wisconsin - Madison (2012 - 2014).
- Technical lead on thermal manipulation of a whole lake ecosystem.
- Managed environmental sensor buoys and data outputs.
- Supervised seasonal technicians and undergraduate students.
Research Technician, School of Oceanography, University of Washington - Seattle (2005 - 2012).
- Co-managed the development, construction, and maintenance of an oceanographic buoy network.
- Technical lead on shipboard and small boat operations.
- Supervised technicians.
Smith CA, Read JS, Carpenter SR, Vander Zanden MJ. 2016. Ecosystem scale metabolic shift of an oligotrophic north-temperate lake resulting from experimentally manipulated water column stability. (in prep)
Smith CA, Read JS, Vander Zanden MJ. 2016. Application of the Gradual Entrainment Lake Inverter (GELI) artificial mixing technology for lake and reservoir management. Lake and Reservoir Management. (in press)
Crawford JT, Loken LC, Casson NJ, Smith CA, Stone AG, Winslow LA. 2015. High-speed limnology: Using advanced sensors to investigate spatial variability in biogeochemistry and hydrology. Environmental Science and Technology 49: 442-450.
Lawson ZJ, Vander Zanden MJ, Smith CA, Heald E, Hrabik TR, Carpenter SR. 2015. Experimental mixing of a north-temperate lake: testing the thermal limits of a cold-water invasive fish. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 72: 926-937.
TECHNICAL SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
Data management and analysis.
- Collection, QA/QC, validation, cataloguing, visualization, parametric statistics, and time series analysis.
- MATLAB, R, SQL, Microsoft Access, GitHub.
Aquatic sensor instruments and networks.
- Design, fabrication, deployment, and maintenance of in-house and commercial instruments.
- Seabird, Hydromet, Satlantic, Wetlabs, Turner, YSI, PME, Campbell Scientific, RM Young, Biospherical